Santa Gertrudis Breed

small map

Santa Gertrudis cattle are "America's First Beef Breed." The development of the Santa Gertrudis breed dates back to the early 1900's when the King Ranch in Kingsville, TX recognized the inability of improved Hereford and Shorthorn cattle to produce profitably under the adverse environmental conditions of South Texas.
In 1910, it was decided to crossbreed the Shorthorn with Brahman, renown for its hardiness. This mixture proved most productive.
In 1920, the outstanding bull calf "Monkey" was born. Approximately 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Shorthorn, he was a distinctive "cherry red" color, docile and exceptionally deep and well-muscled. He became the foundation sire of the Santa Gertrudis breed. Through many generations his descendants have retained the rapid and efficient growth, solid red color, hardiness, and good disposition for which "Monkey" was noted.
The United States Department of Agriculture recognized the Santa Gertrudis as a distinct beef breed in 1940. On April 9, 1951, Santa Gertrudis Breeders International was incorporated, with 169 charter members to standardize and certify those animals designated as "purebred" and to establish rigorous controls for grading-up to purebred herds. Today, the breed thrives in forty-four states and in eighteen other countries. Santa Gertrudis bulls are extensively used in crossbreeding with cows of many different breeds throughout the world.


WR Twisters Joy 27/7

Ricardo 182/2

Santa Gertrudis x Hereford heifers

WR N127